For over a century Mellor House has provided the opportunity for individuals, families and groups who face financial disadvantage or deprivation, to enjoy a holiday or short break in a supportive and relaxed atmosphere.
The charity came into being at the end of the 19th century. A group of men and women connected with the Cathedral Sunday Schools, saw among the families they worked with, many who had never had a break or holiday.
The Patron is a Mrs Moorhouse of Bishops Court, Manchester and the president is The Very Rev. E.C.Maclure, D. D. Dean of Manchester.
At first they provided holidays at a cottage in Mellor which was then in Derbyshire. Due to boundary changes, Mellor has been in the counties of Lancashire, Derbyshire and is now in the county of Cheshire. The need for this type of service was acute and the popularity of the House meant that new premises were required.
Pictured left is the early Mellor House, a small detached cottage still in existence in Gibb Lane Mellor. In 1907 the present purpose built House was opened. Strong associations were forged and are maintained with Manchester Cathedral, visitors of any race creed or colour were welcomed.
The increased size of the House gave more people the opportunity of a holiday or break. Recognising potential shifts in population, the catchment area was extended from the immediate vicinity of the Cathedral to cover Manchester and Salford generally. In time slum clearances scattered deserving families even more widely.
At the outset, churches in these areas joined the Cathedral in making regular donations and subscriptions and, in turn, nominated families who could benefit.
Over time that direct link with the churches on financing and nomination was lost and a more secular society emerged.
Local support through the ages has been provided by the residents of Mellor as can be seen from some early photographs of the open days.
These early photographs (circa 1900) show the 'open' days that still occur. Note the distinct absence of trees compared with the modern day photographs of the House. We have a number of these photographs that will be used in the House's centennial celebration in 2007.
Below left Mellor House in 1967 and below right as it is in the present day. If you have any early photographs of Mellor then please share them with us .
Whilst the bond with the Cathedral remains, with the present Dean being the charity president and the Cathedral providing logistical support, all financial support and the operation of the charity now depends upon voluntary donations and help. We need your help to keep Mellor House ideals alive.